Thu, 27 Apr|
Yoga Therapy Module: Musculoskeletal Part 1 of 2
A review of anatomy and physiology as it relates to the musculoskeletal system and yoga therapy is covered.
Time & Location
27 Apr 2023, 09:00 – 01 May 2023, 17:30
Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa
About the event
The course combines lectures, group discussion, case-study observation, experiential components, trainee presentations and practicum. Volunteer clients are matched with a yoga therapist trainee for three days of supervised yoga therapy that include intake and assessment, private sessions, small group sessions, and program instruction for the client to do at home. Case discussion and plan of action is supervised by faculty.
- Principles of anatomy and physiology as it relates to the practice of yoga therapy.
- The ability to communicate across health care disciplines regarding mutual clients.
- Researching conditions and learning medical terminology as it relates to different health conditions.
- Scope of practice and when to refer clients or students to other healthcare practitioners.
- The practice and delivery of level 1 yoga therapy protocols that pertain to treating conditions of misalignment and imbalance which may involve acute conditions of the musculoskeletal system.
- The practice and delivery of yoga therapy protocols that pertain to maintenance and prevention once acute conditions of misalignment and imbalance are resolved.
- Recommending daily living practices that enhance maintenance schedules.
- Assessing a client’s unique needs to supplement and complement physically based therapeutic, maintenance and prevention yoga therapy protocols with interventions that work on subtle energy levels to assist with emotional, social, mental, and spiritual adjustments.
A review of anatomy and physiology as it relates to the musculoskeletal system and yoga therapy is covered. This includes common pathologies, structural imbalances, functional imbalances etc. The review and practice of client intake especially as it relates to musculoskeletal issues, evaluation, decision-making and delivery of yoga therapy interventions is covered in this module. For Musculoskeletal conditions, "Quick Fixes" (those protocols which work in the majority of cases), Level I Therapeutics (more in-depth) and Maintenance Therapeutics are covered. More severe conditions are discussed but yoga therapy interventions are not covered in this course as they will be covered in more detail in Musculoskeletal II. Adaptations as needed for daily living are covered for different conditions. Surgery basics are covered, including Total Hip and Knee Replacements.